Saturday, May 16, 2009

THE TRUTH


Somebody asked me if I ever asked my clients to tell me "the Truth". "The Truth"? Why would I do that? Why would I want to hear something that could burden the both of us? I never do. I tell them what they’re being charged with. I tell them what the cops say. And then it’s their turn. If they want to tell me “the Truth” then, o.k., what am I gonna do? Sometimes I believe their story and sometimes I don’t, but I know one thing. I never ever "know" for sure if it’s really "the Truth". Besides, it’s the DA that’s supposed to be "seeking" "the Truth". Honestly. That's how it's supposed to work. I defend my clients legal rights and the DA seeks "the Truth". Somewhere it's written in the DA rules or laws or canons, whatever, that they are supposed to do that. I’m sure there are those DA’s who take that very seriously. But I don’t think all of them do. I think they are human and they want to win. And that usually means that they "believe" my guy is guilty.
Lots of time my clients never even attempt to tell me "the Truth" which I appreciate. Then I can concentrate one hundred percent on doing whatever I can to do my job.
Believing your client's story is usually a big risk because that might not be enough to get him acquitted. For instance, kidnapping someone and demanding $50,000 to release them because the person "fucked my wife" is not actually a full defense, although it may be the truth. Sometimes the truth isn’t good enough for the job at hand which is staying out of jail.

No comments: