Wednesday, May 6, 2009

CABBIE


Being a lawyer is similar in one respect, at least, to being a cab driver. You got to hustle for fares.
When I drove cab I used to sit in the cab in the middle of the night with my finger on the two way motorola radio listening intently for the dispatcher to announce an open trip and then pounce on the button like a Jeopardy contestant. All so I'd respond before my fellow cabdrivers. You wouldn't know where the fare was at. You wouldn't know where they were going. You wouldn't know if it was a short or long trip. You wouldn't know if they were good tippers. And you wouldn't even know if they had the money to pay you. You just knew you had to get the fare.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I really enjoy your blog, Murray. Should have known you were once a cabbie. Love the judge stories.